Topic: Stinky tofu
Stinky tofu, the most iconic Taiwanese street food, is a big question mark for many visitors. True
to its name, stinky tofu is as stinky as it gets. Stinky tofu is actually fermented tofu. The process
may take months to allow for the bacteria to ferment, which results in its unique smell. Stinky
tofu is often deep-fried, served with salty sauce and pickled vegetables. Stinky tofu has an
interesting texture: the inside is soft while the “skin” of the tofu is crunchy.
This dish is mostly eaten as a quick snack. It’s a popular street food, typically cooked at small
stands on the side of the road. Once you accept the strange smell, you will fall in love with it.
LANGUAGE FOCUS 學習焦點
(be) served with
-- The chicken is served with vegetables and mashed potatoes.
--An entree is served with a choice of 2 sides.
WORDS & PHRASES 詞彙片語
1. iconic [aɪˈkɑnɪk] (adj.) 符號的；（某觀點或某時代）非常出名的
2. ferment [fɚˈmɛnt] (v.) （使）發酵
3. process [ˈprɑsɛs] (n.) 過程；步驟
4. allow for (phr.) 顧及，考慮到；允許
5. bacteria [bækˈtɪriə] (n.) [pl] 細菌
6. result in (phr.) 導致；結果造成
7. unique [juˈnik ] (adj.) 獨一無二的；唯一的；獨特的
8. pickled [ˈpɪkəld] (adj.) （用醋）醃的，醃製的
9. texture [ˈtɛkstʃɚ] (n.) 質地；質感
10. crunchy [ˈkrʌntʃɪ] (adj.) （食物）鬆脆的，鮮脆的