Topic: Taipei 101
Taipei 101, formerly known as the Taipei International Financial Center, is the tallest building in
Taiwan and was the tallest from its opening in 2004 until 2010. In 2011 Taipei 101 was certified
to be the tallest and largest green building in the world. Designed by the famous Taiwanese
architect Chu-Yuan Lee (李袓原), the building resembles a bamboo tree, which represents fast
growth and flexibility in Taiwan’s economy and culture.
Get in one of the world’s fastest elevator, and you can get to the 89th-floor observation deck of
Taipei 101 in just 37 seconds. There you can get the 360-degree panoramic view of Taipei. Every
New Year’s Eve, Taipei 101 hosts a spectacular fireworks display.
LANGUAGE FOCUS 學習焦點
-- Guanyin Mountain is said to resemble the Buddha Guanyin lying down.
-- Petronas Twin Towers resemble the letter “M” for Malaysia.
WORDS & PHRASES 詞彙片語
1. formerly [ˈfɔrmɚlɪ] (adv.) 以前，從前
2. financial [faɪˈnænʃəl] (adj.) 財務的；財政的；金融的
3. certify [ˈsɝtəfaɪ] (v.) 證明，證實
4. resemble [rɪˈzɛmbəl] (v.) 像；看起來像；與……相似
5. represent [ˌrɛprɪˈzɛnt] (v.) 作為……的代表；作為……的代言人
6. flexibility [ˌflɛksəˈbɪlətɪ] (n.) 靈活性
7. observation deck [ɑbzɚˈveʃən dɛk] (n.) 觀景台
8. panoramic [ˌpænəˈræmɪk] (adj.) 全景的
9. spectacular [spɛkˈtækjəlɚ] (adj.) 壯觀的
10. fireworks display [ˈfɑɪərˌwɜrks ˈdɪsple] (n.) 煙火秀，煙花秀